In a flash, my week has looked something like this…
– We saw The Desolation of Smaug and every time I see anyone on Facebook discussing it I have to pop in and say “THRANDUIL!” I’ve had a soft spot for him since I was eleven and read the Hobbit for the first time, and he was spot-on. Granted, Jackson took liberties with the movie, but they were good liberties, and I had an awesome time.
– We went and saw an illusion show at the performing arts center (their illusion/magic shows are the best) and my nephew Silas, recently 7, now wants to be an illusionist. I approve of his career choice, as long as he keeps dragon riding first and foremost.
– I cut the middle finger of my left hand open with a knife (unintentionally) and I can’t even type with it. I’ve been trying to handwrite, but it really isn’t the same. I pull up my documents and stare forlornly at them, but there’s nothing to be done. I’ll just have to wait.
– Christmas shopping!! As much as I like getting presents (I mean, who doesn’t?) I love hunting for things to buy people, even with limited funds. Some of the people I know are SO hard to buy for that I feel like throwing up my hands and giving them a gift card to Starbucks, but…
– I received a surprise package in the mail – a big, soft TARDIS blanket and a Hobbit-themed moleskine from my friend Maximillian. Seriously. You’d think he knew me or something.
– I’ve read Percy Jackson & The Olympians, finally, and fallen in love with it. Now I can see what all the buzz is about; I keep having to read bits aloud to my mom. And, as someone who has long loved Greek mythology, I can say that this book is the best way to learn about it that I’ve ever come across. Plus it’s super fun.
– I’m wanting to start journaling again but I don’t have the proper kind of notebook. I’m sure you’ve experienced this problem.
– I’ve been researching a lot of common/uncommon vampire/werewolf/general non-human thing traits, tweaking them, and using them in This Mortal Coil. I get a lot of enjoyment from this.
– I’m working on a surprise that involves Monster. Is it a special edition? A new cover? A publisher? Possibly all three, possibly none? You’ll have to wait and see!
– The Passion of Christ by John MacArthur is very good. In it, he details 50 reasons why Christ suffered and died. They aren’t very long, but they’re supremely thought-provoking and I’d recommend it to anyone.
– We put up the Christmas tree last night! We’ve been sick so we got it up a little late, but it’s in the living room now, decked out in ornaments and lights! (Colored lights. Every year we have this vote – colored lights or white lights – bu the rule is as long as someone still votes for colored lights, that’s what we’ll have. I’ve been fighting a lone battle for the last several years and I will continue to fight it until I live elsewhere.)
So that’s the appearance of my week in general. How’s yours? Can you believe it’s only ten days ’till Christmas??