Well, I don’t actually have a literal hat full of tricks. I have hats, yes. I like hats. And I have tricks. But one does not fit inside the other. Except metaphorically. So I’m being metaphorical.
I just thought you should know.
Anyhow, one of my favorite parts of NaNoWriMo is seeing what everyone else uses to survive the month. And I thought ‘hey, if I like it so much, then other people probably do too, right?’ Correct me if I’m wrong (or don’t. You can save your fingers the extra typing and simply say nothing; it’s nicer and uses less energy).
Here we have my ‘hatfull of tricks.’
1. Music. Lots of music. My current favorite songs include Selena Gomez, One Direction, He is We, Heather Dale, Josh Groban, Demi Lovato, Michelle Branch, Gym Class Heroes, Owl City, Hunter Hayes, and David Garrett. As well as awesome soundtracks and groups like X-ray Dog, Immediate Music, Two Steps from Hell (awful name, but they have the BEST writing music I’ve ever come across) and Epic Score.
2. The NaNo help forums. Seriously, all the ideas, quotes, ‘un-stuck’ tips, and advice is invaluable.
3. Same genre books and movies. Some things that have inspired this novel are: The Manchurian Candidate, Eagle Eye, Blink, Thr3e, Paycheck, and Sherlock.
4. Blogs. Seriously, blogs about other people who are writers and NaNo-ers are invaluable. Blogg-ING is especially helpful, too – all the feedback really helps.
5. Tea, coffee, and sisters. If you don’t have a sister, I’m sorry. You can have tea and coffee. But my sister has been awesome this whole time, giving me ideas and inspiring me and encouraging me when I feel ‘bleh.’ My mom has been awesomely supportive, too – without these two people, my word count would NOT be 37,000. Thank you 🙂
Mood: Mad Scientist!
What about you? Do you have any sneaky things that help you get through NaNoWriMo? If so, what are they? I’d love to hear them!